Saturday 3 November 2012

Test photos!

These are test photos from my Vest Pocket Kodak (c.1925) mounted (as per the previous post) on my modern Canon 5d mark2.

 





I have to report that these photos are disappointingly good quality! It works for everything from portraits to macro & arty abstract to landscape and focuses by sliding the lens on the rails forward and back. 





 






I was hoping for ghosting, light leaks, flares and at the very least ridiculous vignetting! None of which are apparent to the extremes I was hoping for :-(   The worst thing about this lens is I've cleaned the glass and I can still see black spots and various marks on the photographs.   



 
For me this lens' strongest feature is it's ability for close up portraits and macro shots. The aperture is controlled by spinning a disc on the front of the Kodak lens that literally has 4 different diameter holes in it (1-4 although I'm not sure what these reference to regarding f#). What I can see is that due to round apertures the bokeh is really quite nice as it's not dictated by the number of blades as per more modern lenses.  As it was pretty dank and grey out today I kept the aperture wide open on #4 but I still had to crank the ISO so that's why some of the darker photos might look noisy if you're pixel peeping. Ctrl Click (MacOS) or right click (windoze) to "save as" to view the Shutter and ISO on each photograph.




None of these photos have been near photoshop (apart from to go through my droplet to make them a more web friendly size).  The photo of my daughter to the right was an in camera sepia effect.

All in all this lens actually works very well if you can manually focus and definitely got a few odd looks and started a couple conversations when in town and in the coffee shop. 

I got the EXIF data from Simple EXIF Viewer - available for free.

I think I might have to try fitting another of my vintage cameras to the 5d to see what happens. STAY TUNED! 

In the mean time, if you have any friends or family getting married, anywhere in the world don't hesitate to get in touch (I promise not to use this setup ;-) )

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.